Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Remembering the day that Canada declared war against Germany

I remember hearing the news on September 1, 1939; German troops swarmed across the Polish border and unleashed the first Blitzkrieg (surprise attack) the world had seen. Hitler had been planning his attack since March- ever since German troops occupied the remainder of Czechoslovakia. I was shocked that Hitler was this powerful and I predicted that he would be striving for world domination. The world was also surprised as it was breaking news everywhere. Everyone was talking about Hitler and the Blitzkrieg.

On September 10th of 1939, Canada declared war on Germany for a couple of reasons. War was declared in response to the fact that Germany had invaded Poland the previous week. Also, Britain and France declared war on September 3rd as Germany failed to withdraw their troops from Poland.

I remember the chaos on the streets when Canada declared war on Germany. My fellow male citizens were running around the streets wanting to enlist in the Canadian Corp. so they could support Canada in battle. Men were swarming around enlistment offices. I saw some people crying, especially women, since they knew their husbands would be going to war. Some citizens were not very warmhearted about going to war. Canadians were unprepared because we were still trying to get over the 10 year depression that was experienced. I remember some males were very excited to go to war because they wanted to join the war effort and support Canada. Posters were being put up as soon as Canada declared war on Germany. The advertisements to enlist appeared on everything from billboards, shop windows and theaters, to buses and streetcars and even matchbox covers. The streets were like a sea of indecisive people; having to make a decision weather they should enlist or stay at home and support for their families.

I knew what I was going to do. I remember seeing a poster that said to enlist to become part of the RCAF, which encouraged women aged 21 to 41 to join. From the poster, being a combat pilot seemed intriguing. I wanted to try something adventurous, since the majority of my life was uneventful, so I enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force. I was scared when I enlisted because being part of the RCAF would change my life. I would be leaving a lot behind.

What do you remember about the day Canada declared war on Germany? What decisions did you have to make? Was this decision a good or bad choice?

5 comments:

  1. Nursing Sister Prudence LMay 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM

    Thank you for making this post, this certainly brought back a lot of memories on how my whole journey started in the war. On Sep. 9, 1939, I was working in a mini hospital in Strathroy, Ontario. I thought it was just a typical day and spent my time socializing with the patients and other nurses. Suddenly the man who delivers the newspapers to the hospital everyday ran in screaming, “Canada is joining the war!” All of us were shocked to hear the news, the patients that were sleeping woke up suddenly, the nurses were panicking and screaming “oh dear!” and the doctors just had an expression of shock that I would never forget. At that time, I knew I had to be part of this war and I would have to recruit and serve my country. My other nursing friends thought I was crazy and told me to just stay here and not to get myself in a mess by joining the war. I didn’t listen and knew I would have to recruit. Thankfully, a doctor I worked with everyday felt the same way about it too and we both were very enthusiastic in being part of this war! This day marked the beginning of all the “adventures” I would have to face in the war and I will never forget it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made our country proud by enlisting in the RCAF Women's division. I remember the first time when I heard Germany invaded Poland. Back then, I was struggling to survive due to the Great Depression. I was shocked when I heard the news, I never knew it was this serious, maybe it was due to the fact that I had to deal with my own problems at home. Shortly after, Canada declared war on Germany. My whole town was frantic, people on the streets were shouting and men were quickly rushing to enlist in the war. I barely knew what was going on. I knew I had to make a decision, stay at home or fight in the war. I was determined to fight but I did not know what to do. In the beginning, I was a factory worker, building military arms. It was not until the creation of the Women's Royal Canadian Naval Service in 1942 that I knew I wanted to become a Wren. I'm happy with my decisions, first fighting indirectly in the war, and then I was able to fight in the Battle of the Atlantic. My life as a Wren was just beginning, and I knew my life would never be the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Womens Army Corps, Private Elizabeth C.May 14, 2010 at 8:23 PM

    I remember when Canada declared war on Germany. I am sorry to say, I was jubilant. This was what was going to set me free from the years I had spent on my farm up in the north west end of Ontario, trying to beat the depression and to grow a crop that would sell. Life had been hard, boring and uninteresting. There were no career oportunities for me, no form of work, no chances to travel, nothing. After High School, there was no more education for me.

    So when war was declared, I knew it was only a matter of time before women would be asked to enlist. I wasn't qualified to be a nurse, and I certainly wouldn't trust myself with another man's life. Oh, how excited I was! I thought it would be an adventure, a thrill ride!

    How very wrong I was...

    ReplyDelete
  4. S. Rossi the RiveterMay 14, 2010 at 8:25 PM

    The day Canada declared war, I was in my late teens and I remember the chaos in the streets. Like RCAF mentioned, there were posters everywhere you could think of, newspaper headlines were filled with talk of the war, and people were scrambling everywhere! I was extremely overwhelmed, to be honest, and all I wanted to do was go home and get away from it for a while. Many of my former classmates and friends talked about how their brothers were enlisting and how proud they were that their brothers were going to be defending the world. I thought it was great that so many young men were enthusiastic, but as many learned from the First World War, fighting is not as rewarding as it is made out to be. With fighting comes a lot of loss and dreadfulness.

    Another thing I noticed is that most people were looking for any way possible to make some money. A large number of families, including my own, had not completely recovered from the economic depression and needed work. This is when I considered taking a job in the factory, and decided to pick up an application form. I eventually filled it out and handed in. By 1940, the war had escalated and I left my home in Guelph (though only temporarily) to work in the John Inglis Company plant in Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember that day. I was just a normal woman living a normal life when I first heard the news. In a months time I would decide to try and enlist to help out. Who knew that from there, I would be recruited to train as a spy and would carry out missions in Europe...I certainly didn't!

    I relate with you when you say you joined because your life had been "uneventful". I shared some of these feelings and I'll admit that it played a role in my decision to enlist. It was a proud moment when I made my decision and I was excited for the adventure of a lifetime! Little did I know that I'd get much much more than I had asked for...

    ReplyDelete