Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Remembering a Difficult Mission

I remember waking up on a warm summer morning on August 1944. My pillow felt so soft, I didn’t want to get up. As usual, at least I’m still sane, I thought to myself. I somehow pulled myself up off the mattress, stretched and went downstairs to get something to drink. I looked out the window as I sipped my tea. The sun had just started to peek out over the horizon, as if it too was only just waking up. I finished my tea and went to the washroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. I was tired and exhausted, in more ways than one. I felt I had essentially lost a part of myself in this war and in my work. I wondered if it was worth it, especially now, as I looked at myself in the mirror. I didn’t know if I’d come back this time. I wondered if there was anything I should take care of, if I had any unfinished business I should attend to. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth. I looked down at the long cylindrical tube that was my toothpaste. I was going to miss it. It was my last Canadian possession, my last reminder of home. But now, I was French, born to my French parents in 1918 at the Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital in Paris. I was a Nazi supporter. I had a fear of airplanes and so had never before left the country.

I sighed as I looked at my new id, passport and birth certificate. Another new name, another new alias. Another new person. My alarm clock rang. I grabbed my bag and walked out the door.

4 comments:

  1. Nursing Sister Prudence LMay 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

    The thoughts and feelings you had before you left for this mission is totally understandable. The same thoughts went through my mind as I was getting ready to recruit with the RCAMC to serve in the war. I didn't know if this was the right choice and whether I would regret it in the future or even make it back home alive. All I knew was my goal in life was to save people’s lives and the best way to do that was to join the war where the most people would need me! I didn’t think about it too much before I left and just kissed my loved ones goodbye and hoped I would be able to see them again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how hard it must have been for you. It must have been extremely difficult trying to adapt to a whole different country being a completely new person. You never really know if any of it is worth it until the very end. Although I did miss my parents, I knew I had a job to do overseas. It wouldn't feel right if I had stayed home and continued my daily routine knowing that they were thousands of men and women dying in other countries. The only thing I could do while fighting in war was to look at the more positive aspects of it, meeting new friends and becoming a stronger woman physically and mentally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Womens Army Corps, Private Elizabeth C.May 14, 2010 at 8:18 PM

    I really don't know how you did it. Constantly under the threat of danger, constantly suspicoius of the people around you and constantly changing your identity. I would have felt sort of lost after a while. Constatnyl switching from person to person, becoming someone else every couple of months....That was very brave of you, and I admire your candor. Your missions were definatly a great asset to the war.

    Wren M-L, I completely agree with you. I also missed my family, and, although it was possible to help with the war effort at home, I felt obligated to go overseas. Soldiers were sacrificing their lives for me, the least I could do was repay them by coming to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. S. Rossi the RiveterMay 14, 2010 at 8:50 PM

    I’m going to agree with Private Elizabeth, on this one. I truly do not know how you were able to do it! I was hesitant to work in a factory that was only three hours away from my family, yet you had to give up your identity, give up your morals, learn to lie, and start fresh all for the sake of defending the allies. How patriotic! Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

    ReplyDelete