Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Remembering the Weapons


Some people remember the explosions and the bombing. Some people remember the alarms. Some remember the battlefield and marching into the fray uniform-clad with their trusty rifle. My memories of the “battlefield” were much different; in fact I don’t think it ever was one specific place for me. I never marched into the fight with my uniform and fellow soldiers. There was little to no glory in what I did and most were ignorant of my existence. It had to be that way, yet I was probably helping the war effort before most soldiers’ numbers were dry. I guess that’s what it means to be a spy.

Whenever I chose my set of equipment, I always thought that it could never hurt to have a few extra tricks up your sleeve, especially when just about everyone could be an enemy. I had shoes with concealed heel blades, a cigarette case that would detonate upon being opened, the multi-purpose “Peskett”, which had wire for strangling, a knife and a heavy weighted ball. I always carried around a decent amount of coins, many of which I attached a small, swivel blade to. They frequently came in handy when I needed a small projectile to stall for a small but crucial amount of time.

My “uniform” was a specially outfitted wardrobe of civvies. All my clothes had a number of secret pockets and compartments where I would store my equipment. The seams of my shirts, dresses and skirts were made to be able to hold thin pieces of paper. Usually this was to make delivering messages easier and more discrete. I had a set of holsters that could be worn on my legs and stockings that could conceal other small items. Despite this, to a civilian, I fit right in with society. I simply woke up every day and led the life of a “normal” woman. I woke up, got dressed, ate breakfast, went for a morning stroll and caught up with friends. I wrote letters to my “husband”. I worked as a waitress at the restaurant down the street. To the average person, I was a harmless housewife living her life as usual at home, far away from harm. This couldn’t be further from the truth. The last place I called “home” was Canada, and that was a very long time ago. Every minute I spent on my assignment in that city was the equivalent of being in the heat of battle. The second I was discovered, it was over. I was always weary of my surroundings, always vigilant, although it never seemed that way to any person watching on in the streets. The enemy was everywhere, but nowhere to be seen. Their weapons were just as illusive. Usually once a weapon was revealed by either ally or enemy, you died or the enemy did. We never really found out what the enemy’s entire arsenal was, but some things are just standard issue – silenced pistols, small daggers, a “saboteur’s knife” and an assortment of other knives and blades.

It was rare that any of us ever actually engaged another person. Most hits were well planned, quiet, assassinations. Upon discovery, running was usually the only option, since “actual” soldiers are much better equipped and would probably be able to easily overpower me.

The methods and conditions under which my “battles” were fought were much different than those of other soldiers. Do you think you would have preferred my way of doing things? And, would you have liked to been a spy? And why?

I must apologize for being vague about certain specifics and details. Despite being retired, certain pieces of information are classified by a number of organizations and governments I have worked for in the past. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

K

5 comments:

  1. Nursing Sister Prudence LMay 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM

    I must say being a spy was probably one of the hardest jobs in the war. For a soldier, their life would be at risk everyday but it seems to be the same as a spy! I was surprised to see all the weapons you carried and how organized and planned you were! As a nurse, my “weapons” was the basic surgery knife and scissors! They might seem simple but believe me, without these, that soldier who broke his arm earlier might not have survived! I think I would prefer your way of doing things, it seems a bit less stressful and you just didn’t have too much to worry about but yourself! Being a nurse, everyone’s lives was on my hands, I do one mistake or take one step too slowly, the person could be dead right in front of my eyes. Being a spy is obviously dangerous and you could make one wrong step and be killed but the basic idea that your only responsibility was your own life just sounds interesting to me! But even if I was given a second life to choose to be a nurse or a spy, I would still prefer a nurse. Even though the pressure was great, I could say it’s just as exciting as being a spy! Being a nurse is very rewarding and just like you are getting information for the army in order to help the country win, I am saving the lives of people which could be saving a child from losing their father or a wife from losing their husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life as a spy seems filled with suspense every day. Although your job requires useful and neat weapons, I think I would prefer my way of doing things. I'm not too used to the idea that life at home is like living a life in battle. I don't think I would work well with all these weapons, considering that, as a Wren, we don't rely much on hand to hand combat. Out war vessel was our weapon. It is true that we are constantly in danger being out at sea. German U-boats are sulking deep under the ocean, and you never know when they will fire torpedoes. However, we did get immense training before going out at sea, and it is always a team effort. Every crew member on the vessel has an important job. If given a choice between a spy or a Wren, I would choose the latter just because I prefer the company and teamwork and fighting at sea in a corvette ship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Womens Army Corps, Private Elizabeth CMay 13, 2010 at 6:39 PM

    Being a direct part of the actual army, I did hold weapons from time to time, but they were usually the standard rifle. A lot of the weapons you've mentioned i'd never heard of. And who would think you could attach so many things to small, everyday objects!I was also never involved in combat. I knew that there were spies out there for the allies, but I never knew any personally, and I certainly didn't know that one would be involved in those kind of "battles". I do envy you a little bit - since you were undercover, i'm guessing you wouldn't revcieve the amount of prejudice against women working as me, or Wren, did. However, I really don't think I would like carrying all those guns around with me - it would be like being a walking arsenal! I'm sorry to say I don't think i'd like to be a spy. I prefer the structure and order of the Womens Army Corps and the comfort of being a mechanic. But still, good for you, be proud of yourself and what you did for the Allies during the war.

    ReplyDelete
  4. S. Rossi the RiveterMay 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM

    I don’t think I could have ever done the job of a spy. Not only do you have to be inconspicuous, you have to be ready to react in dangerous situations at any second. When spotted or suspected, you had no choice but to fight or you would be the one saying goodbye to the planet. On top of that, there are the vital qualities of being sly and even ruthless. I admire your free-spirit and spontaneity , but I could never live with myself with the burden of knowing I had to harm people...people with souls, families, lives outside of the war… just because they were potential threats to the deliverance of information. I was the one in the factory constructing those Bren guns, but I could never imagine having to use one. How you survived the war as a spy, I have no idea. However, your work was impressive and very important to the success of the allies. Accolades to you, my fellow Canadian woman. Thank God everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The job of being a spy seems difficult and very eventful at the same time. Being a spy is probably the hardest job anyone could do in war. Spies seem very organized and technically advanced with the preparation of encountering a problem. Since I was never called onto the front lines I do not know what weapons pilots use in battle. In training, I would be flying a Messerschmitt Bf. It is equipped with heavy machine guns and potentially could be equipped with bombs for mass destruction in battle. The machine gun was the best weapon this combat aircraft was equipped with since it is fully automatic firearm and occupies a lot of ammunition. The machine gun could shoot a long range which made it even more effective. The aircrafts I fly were pretty simple and basic in terms of weapons.

    ReplyDelete